Friday, January 13, 2012

Okinawan dinner?

We were running low on natto so we did a grocery run at Meidi-ya. The cashier suggested that I become their member. The Japanese must be crazy, I would have to pay S$2 for a supposedly life-time membership and then accumulate points that must be used up every half a year. And... for every S$1 I spend, I get 1 point, and I would have to spend S$502 in 6 months to get a S$5 voucher....

There isn't much natto and half-price sashimi that I can buy for S$5.

So anyway we walked around Liang Court looking for a half decent eatery to settle our hunger. In the end we went back to the Okinawan diner. I forever associate Okinawa with pork and papayas. Anyway the joke was on me because I already had okawa in the afternoon, and my dinner set also came with okawa (think: Sekihan, the glutinous rice served with red beans to celebrate events, e.g. a girl having her first menses *gross... think about everyone celebrating your first tampon*)
The noodles was interesting. Reminded me of my usual Chinese egg noodles.
B1 had the ginger pork. Each set came with pudding-like tofu *I love* served with a thick soy sauce, minced ginger and spring onions. There were also two interesting sides of miso buta and radish (preserved with bonito and seaweed?).

No comments:

Post a Comment