Friday, February 10, 2012

Japanese Day - Grilled Fish

There is a place I like to frequent at Takashimaya, where they grill a slice of fish on the spot upon order, which can be a pain to wait for, if you are in a hurry.

Still, it makes for a nice treat. So while we were at Isetan supermarket, I decided to try grilling fish as well with my new microwave... I was thinking that maybe one slice of fish was not filling enough and should I get the weird looking kurumi fish (which B1 and I might not like) or the safe but boring mackerel?
So I bought both. What the hell is kurumi anyway? Googling it reveals that it is an anime character or a song by Mr Children...

I also bought B1's perennial favorite, daikon radish. I know he likes them in big chunks but I wanted to copy the restaurant in cutting them very thin. So I cut 4 equally sized cylinders and shredded the rest into miso soup. I later  poured out almost all the soup into our bowls, and kept only a bit for braising the daikon cylinders.
The kurumi was marinated in teriyaki sauce so it should not be a no-brainer to cook while I couldn't figure out whether to salt the mackerel. I thought that the fish was likely salted already (it was) so I left them alone.

After grilling for 20min, the mackerel was done... I couldn't figure out whether the kurumi was so I left them in the oven while I ran out to fix my Tante's pc... next thing I knew the bloody fish was abit burnt, due to the sugar in the teriyaki sauce carbonizing.
Nonetheless still edible with my favorite yellow daikon pickles, yum yum =D.

No comments:

Post a Comment