Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Almost vegetarian Kway Chap

I love the kway chap sold by the vegetarian stall at *censored*. I am trying to replicate this dish. This was attempt 1.

I was too lazy to buy all the spices needed for kway chap, so I tried to buy the ready made spice packet. Went to my favorite market stalls, but they only sold ba ku teh (pork rib tea) mix. Ok, I thought about it, it tasted close to the vegetarian stall's, which had a nice herby flavor (not like the actual kway chap), except that it had a lot more peppercorns in the sachet.
So I bought that, thinking that I will not steep the sachet into the soup too long, and add the other condiments necessary for kway chap (like soya sauce). While I got water boiling, I chucked in the ba ku teh sachet. Once I smelled the peppery fragrance, I poured in dark soya sauce (for color), and light soya sauce for taste. For ingredients, I put in squares of tofu, chinese yuba, tua pok (another kind of soy product), oyster mushrooms, and bumanji mushrooms. I initially wanted to make it a all vegetarian dish, then I thought about Bobo (who would complain that I am starving him), and put in some pork slices and meat balls.

I also put in some mirin and the rice noodles (I couldn't buy the big square kind, and ended up with kway tiao) towards the end. Ok, it didn't really taste much like the kway chap sold by the vegetarian stall but it still tasted pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment