Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Chinese Taco: 三层肉包

I had some frozen pork belly in the freezer and I missed eating lotus leaf buns. So obviously I would make braised pork belly sandwiches.
Assembled by B1's loving hands
Lotus leaf buns are not made from lotus leaves but they have the shape of little lotus leaves folded into two. Anyway I call them the Chinese tacos, very suitable for sandwiching food in between the two soft dough pads.

So I tossed the pork belly in with my leftover roast chicken to boil for stock. When the pork fat had turned soft and gelatinous, I took the pork belly slices out and braised them in some of the same stock, with the added condiments of sesame seed oil, garlic, soya sauce and mirin (I was too lazy to use Chinese wine and sugar). 
What's fast food without bier?
In the meantime I steamed the buns, and juliened some preserved daikon, Takuan (沢庵), which will provide a unique texture and contrasting flavor to the slightly sweet bun and the salty (and sweet) meat.  I retrieved the meat from the pot after half an hour and added a cornflour mixture to thicken the gravy. I then poured the gravy on the meat. I also used the remaining chicken + pork belly stock to make a quick corn egg drop soup with some creamed corn and leftover chicken bits. And to complete this "fast food" ensemble, we had fries.

We had fun assembling our little buns, first a bun, then lettuce leaf, then the Takuan, and the pork belly. Munch munch munch. B1 complained that we had tacos last weekend and now I was feeding him Chinese tacos. Some people just need to take S$4.50 and buy himself a noodle soup. (0.o")
Egg drop corn soup

No comments:

Post a Comment