Monday, December 26, 2011

白萝卜汤

Clockwise from left to right. Tomato with minced pork quick stir fry, radish and carrot soup, thai-style fish and turnip rice.

I think that 白萝卜 tastes best with the rich flavors of dried seafood (so I chucked in some baby dried scallops, which I bought a box of at S$12.60, and dried cuttlefish, but B1 complained that he missed the flavor of pork ribs. Some people just cannot be satisfied.

I think the sour mango added a nice contrast to the fish, because one would expect those green slices to be salted pickle, but it turned out to be the tangy green mangoes. I also swapped out yam for turnip in the "yam" rice. Usually the way Chinese do it would be to fry the ingredients then pour it onto cooked rice before mixing and eating. My style is more paella-like, which is to fry the rice together with the rest of the ingredients then pour in the stock and cover till cooked.

白萝卜汤 is considered a "cooling" soup because of the white radish which can also improve your appetite, digestion and prevent coughs. So technically this soup was better drunk during the hot summer months. Haha. OOpz.

No comments:

Post a Comment